News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

New open-source project transforms Android phones into ham radio receivers

Started by Redaktion, October 16, 2024, 01:36:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Thanks to the kv4p HT project, radio hobbyists can now extend their phones functionally to include off-grid communication. The radio module, which costs only $35 to build, will allow operators to send SMS-like messages and communicate over long distances without the need for a cell tower.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/New-open-source-project-transforms-Android-phones-into-ham-radio-receivers.902140.0.html

Jon Ahlquist, WAOWYX

The problem with using this for FRS/GMRS is hardware rather than software. This hardware is for the 2-meter ham band (144-148 MHz) while FRS/GMRS is at 462 MHz.

Jb

We as licenced amatuers can use ECHOLINK on our mobiles and also tablets ect when connected to the Internet.  And it's free.

Kg5fbq

Quote from: Jb on Yesterday at 00:50:36We as licenced amatuers can use ECHOLINK on our mobiles and also tablets ect when connected to the Internet.  And it's free.
Yes, but the true beauty of this device is that it doesn't require the internet. It allows your phone to function as an ht without a sim card or cell tower. I think it is amazing. Great job kv4p

N9RIN

There is also a UHF version of the radio module.
An update to the app to tune the UHF band could be done.

Ron Lanham

Hi is this device available in Australia.i am very interested in this as I am away from normal mobile reception over weeks on end in remote north east Tasmania. please advise
Regards Ron Lanham

Barefoot Mike

Certainly a fun looking project, perhaps for the educational aspect and proof of concept, but for the price if the parts alone you could pick up a cheap Chinese HT, which gives you more power, greater frequency range, FM analog audio, and is purpose built for the task. Still, very interesting for what it is, if not especially practical.

Rick

Yes a $35 Baofeng is more power and functional. But as a traveler, a radio engineer and pilot. Just the fun of building it, is enough. But just think keep the kit in your computer bag and next time you are traveling sitting in an airport or motel at night and have spare time, delayed flight, had to stay overnight unplanned or whatever. Connect to your phone and your computer case has room for both antenna. GOTA.

Rich Hartnett

Would you consider putting the parts together and selling it as a "ready-to-use" module for, say, $75?

Richard Hartnett

I wonder what the RF output is?  I'm guessing it's low, probably 1/2 to 1 watt.

Fmschlag500

Is there a kit to purchase to build and where can that be found? Also, is this something that can work when cell service is not available... such as in time of disaster? What is the distance with the short verses the long antenna?

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview