News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D tipped for an October 25 launch

Started by Redaktion, Yesterday at 10:17:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

A new leak says AMD plans to unveil its first Zen 5 X3D CPU soon. This time, the Ryzen 7 9800X3D will be the first to show up and come with a hefty price tag.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Ryzen-7-9800X3D-tipped-for-an-October-25-launch.901750.0.html

Enma45

After the Intel chip disaster, this is one of the chips that everyone is waiting for. They won't be cheap, but it will be harder to buy because they will run out in milliseconds.
This AMD chip is said to have more than 10% more performance than Intel.
The most important thing is the AM5 platform, with which you can have 7 years of updates, while if you buy an Intel Core Ultra 200S you only have 10 months, since NovaLake changes everything.

Core Ultra 200S Retail Launch: October 24, 2024
Ryzen 7 9800X3D Announced: October 25, 2024
Ryzen 7 9800X3D Retail Launch: First Week of November 2024
Ryzen 9 9950X3D Announced: Early January 2025
Ryzen 9 9950X3D Retail Launch: Late Q1 2025

Seeking Answers

@Enma45

Could you kindly explain to me why in many gpu fps YouTube comparison videos, quite often the 14900k is getting higher 0.1% and 1% FPS percentiles than the 7800X3D? From what I've been told this is a super important metric to measure how smooth a game feels. I don't quite understand why AMD chips seem to be getting lower as I've been told X3D chips are the best for gaming.

Also, are you sure that they won't be cheap or that they'll will sell quickly? Considering from what I understand how poor Zen 5 vanilla sales have been? Some sources that work in retail speculate it's been the worst launch since AMD's Bulldozer. I think they may have to adjust their expectations and be more realistic if they don't want the same thing happening again.

I do agree that the upgradability of platform is nice. But I question how important this is outside of the DIY desktop market, which is kinda niche. Everything in laptops has been soldered. Don't really know how server or semi custom business works but suppose they've longer 7 year contracts where they upgrade the whole system / SoC after renewing them so I would assume of lesser importance to these other markets?

GeorgeS

Quote from: Seeking Answers on Yesterday at 15:52:25@Enma45
I do agree that the upgradability of platform is nice. But I question how important this is outside of the DIY desktop market, which is kinda niche. Everything in laptops has been soldered. Don't really know how server or semi custom business works but suppose they've longer 7 year contracts where they upgrade the whole system / SoC after renewing them so I would assume of lesser importance to these other markets?

Indeed.

One MUST ask themselves exactly HOW MUCH of the "market" is seemingly chasing that extra "+%10-20" performance?

While "high end" professionals where time=money and likely WOULD NOT be interested in these chips in the first place (to LOW PERFORMANCE) the "other" professionals likely will do a complete PC refresh every 18-36 months.

So then we mostly have the non-professional "home market" wherein how many can afford to swap CPU's for the "+%10-15" of performance gain?

IMHO: likely NOT the current or last gen users but rather those that bought into AM5 sometime ago where the new chips finally 'tick the box' of enough of a performance upgrade to be worthwhile.

I agree that this is where Team Blue "shoots themselves in the foot" so to speak. Granted each generation may give "up to %10-15" performance improvement HOWEVER it ALWAYS involves a new CPU+Motherboard+cooling solution which all together becomes cost prohibitive for all but the folks with LOADS of $$$.

Several of the OEM's offer compelling COMPLETE systems for a bit more $$ than the DIY PC guts upgrade costs.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview