News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

AMD Zen 5 Strix Point CPU analysis - Ryzen AI 9 HX 370 versus Intel Core Ultra, Apple M3 and Qualcomm Snapdragon X Elite

Started by Redaktion, July 29, 2024, 20:36:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

NikoB

Another throw-in on the fan:

The review does not include the top 7945HX from AMD, which consumes almost 2 times less in PL1 and is still at least 10% faster than the 14900HX. That is, it is 2 (two) times faster than the 14900HX at 1W in peak performance.

It is no longer interesting to read further, since it is clear that the article is frankly biased from the start, and the numbers are far-fetched.

George

Ok so am I the only one that is NOT surprised at all by the outcome?

After all, NO product EVER lives up to the pre-release 'hype' let alone outperforms it! LOL!

Granted the authors 'cherry picked' the competition and while smaller transistors use less energy and take up less space than larger ones there are limits to generational improvements based mostly on size/qty's.

While assembly language programmers long for a world where the Motorola 68000 instruction set is used everywhere it has taken DECADES for alternative CPU instruction sets to be viable and offer real platform choices.

So we have the ARM camp (Apple & Qualcomm) and the x86 camp (AMD & Intel) ALL coming out with VIABLE products.

Competition is GOOD for consumers!!

:)

Russel

Why is there no AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX3D or 7945HX in the list?
And you need to mention that none of the processors in this family have SODIMM RAM support. (Same goes for intel, so X86 is losing one huge advantage).

StillBK

Until I can use Blender 3D's iGPU accelerated Cycles rendering on AMD's products and on Linux then I'm going to be looking at Intel's iGPU based SOCs instead where Intel's OneAPI/Level-0 is easier to get installed and working across more Linux Distros. The Tech Press is not testing for Blender 3D Integrated GPU compute API support on Linux, or even Windows! And as such it's not showing the Problems that AMD's ROCm/HIP iGPU/dGPU compute stack has with Linux that has to be solved by AMD before I can consider any AMD APU based system with iGPUs that currently have such nonexistent iGPU compute API support on Linux. 

AMD's not yet as ready for Linux and Blender 3D's iGPU accelerated Cycles rendering and the fall back of Cycles rendering on the CPU cores is just too stressful on any laptop, or Mini Desktop PC, cooling solutions. But even with Intel's  much better level of support for Blender 3D's iGPU accelerated Cycles rendering Apple's better there because all of Apple's graphics are of the Integrated Graphics kind and so Apple's Integrated Graphics support is more focused compared to the x86 Makers iGPU focus, what with most Laptop's and PCs using dGPUs and mostly of Nvidia makes and models of Laptop/PC dGPUs. And Nvidia makes sure that Blender 3D's dGPU accelerated Cycles rendering mostly just works on Windows/Linux!

As far as and Snapdragon X Elite usage in the Upcoming Tuxedo Linux Laptops I hope that the Tech Press will be inquiring ahead of time with the Tuxedo laptop Folks about that Blender 3D iGPU accelerated Cycles rendering support on the Adreno X1 iGPU because otherwise Apple's the only one supporting that on any ARM based SOCs with iGPUs!

And the Blender Foundation stopped supporting OpenCL as the iGPU/dGPU compute API ever since Blender 3.0 was released and we are now at Blender 4.2. And so any OpenCL tests are useless for end users of Blender 3.0/Later editions That require Nvidia CUDA(Nvidia GPUs), Apple Metal(Apple's iGPUs), OneAPI/Level-0(Intel's iGPUs/dGPUs) And AMD's ROCm/HIP(Very Sketchy support for AMD's consumer dGPUs and even worse for AMD's APUs with integrated graphics).

BTr

NikoB

More power efficiency comparison reviews for the Zen4 Phoenix.
phoronix.com/review/amd-ryzen-ai-9-365
phoronix.com/review/amd-ryzen-ai-9-hx-370

It's worth noting that this energy efficiency must be used correctly in a laptop - i.e. there must be power profiles that provide the same performance as the Zen4 Phoenix, but much, much quieter. If this is not provided in a specific laptop model - it makes no sense to buy it.

NikoB

Quote from: usacomputer on July 30, 2024, 13:55:54I do not understand this obsession of the media to go against AMD and in favor of Intel, I know that Intel pays money but at least be as neutral as possible, thank God this does not happen in professional computer forums.
There is no "idea" but purely criminal selfish interest, carefully hidden from the population. After all, it spoils the reputation, and therefore instantly the traffic of commercial sites, and they are all commercial, it is business. But business must be decent and open in terms of principles and rules, otherwise it is criminal in its essence. Thomas Dunning did not believe in the integrity of business. I have not believed it either for a long time. My experience of many decades has proven the dishonesty of almost any business enterprise, with very rare exceptions, which, against the background of the masses of dishonest business, quickly go down the drain for obvious reasons - to live with wolves, howl like a wolf.

Dan6

It's all doesn't matter if there will be no laptops with these cpus. Despite me wanting to switch to ryzen, I keep booking Intel laptops several years straight for the company because laptops with AMDs are either some budget machines with unacceptable screens or limited to 16 gigs ram.. Already booked dell xps with intel this year...

Naa

Quote from: George on July 29, 2024, 22:41:55So we have the ARM camp (Apple & Qualcomm)

Please don't mention or categorise Apple and Qualcomm in the same sentence as if they're comparable to one another. You might actually confuse and mislead people.

Arms Apple is so very different (both in performance & compatibility) to Qualcomm's you might aswell call it a different ISA / architecture all together at this point.

erber

Quote from: Naa on July 30, 2024, 19:23:44Qualcomm
Not a bad chip actually, especially the lower SKUs. Their mistake was trying to run in "Windows first". Windows is a bloated OS that just ignores what you want, it can easily start downloading updates when you have 15% battery, Defender is constantly nagging CPU, stupid HP even tried to sell those X Elites with preinstalled Mcafee, making laptop basically unusable. And what we have in the end - quite a nice chip running a mess of OS with unfinished support, full GPU support is still not done and given messy sales start it might never be finished now - MS is widely known for dropping projects.

Qualcomm should target the Linux crowd and come in hot with open source hardware support. ARM linux laptop would sell like crazy. You can't beat Apple with a mess Windows is, especially when Apple is in 4th CPU generation already and they already have a lot of cheap older (but still very good) models and a huge refurb+second-hand market.

vladteapa

No soldered RAM laptops will sell "like crazy", at their current prices, no matter the OS they're running.

Seems like most OEMs are trying to milk this "ARM shift" as much as possible, trying to sell something rather ordinary as special.

I'd wait at least 6 months before buying a new architecture product.

Steve1

Quote from: vladteapa on July 31, 2024, 09:17:31No soldered RAM laptops will sell "like crazy", at their current prices, no matter the OS they're running.
In 5 years they get outdated and adding ram will not make them modern anyway.
Compare something like mac mini 2018 with 100w 8700B and modern ryzen minipc and pretend you can make mac mini quicker and less power hungry 5.5 years later in in 2024 by shoveling in more of those outdated DDR4 2666 sticks. Same with laptops, how many ram are you going to add to crappy hot 3hr-on-battery intel machine to make it great again.
I'm tired of "soldered ram is bad".

Dan6

Quote from: Steve1 on July 31, 2024, 09:33:04
Quote from: vladteapa on July 31, 2024, 09:17:31No soldered RAM laptops will sell "like crazy", at their current prices, no matter the OS they're running.
In 5 years they get outdated and adding ram will not make them modern anyway.
Compare something like mac mini 2018 with 100w 8700B and modern ryzen minipc and pretend you can make mac mini quicker and less power hungry 5.5 years later in in 2024 by shoveling in more of those outdated DDR4 2666 sticks. Same with laptops, how many ram are you going to add to crappy hot 3hr-on-battery intel machine to make it great again.
I'm tired of "soldered ram is bad".

I think you're missing the point here.
1) It's not flexible, you have to estimate today how much ram you'll need in next 2+ years. But today you only use browser on your laptop and even 16gigs is enough, so why pay additional 500 eur for a 32 gigs model? But in 6 month you decide, let's say, to run some LLM locally and you can't because of ram limitation. And you can't upgrade it, so you go and buy new laptop..
2) It's cheaper to buy 8gigs laptop and then upgrade it with 32gigs when needed for like 150eur instead of overpaying 700 eur initially for a 32gig model.
3) if ram goes faulty - you have to buy a new laptop instead of just replacing the ram

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview