News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Asus Zenbook S 16 laptop review - The first Copilot+ laptop with AMD Zen 5 inside a 1.3-cm-thick case

Started by Redaktion, July 28, 2024, 15:03:21

Previous topic - Next topic

systemBuilder22

Quote from: IT amateur on July 29, 2024, 13:13:36
Quote from: lolryzen on July 29, 2024, 00:00:53How can they call it ryzen NINE if it gets completely raped by passively cooled M4 tablet in geekbench.
+1 Have to agree even being an anti-apple / apple hater.

Can't believe how we got here. Apple is light years ahead of BOTH arm and x86. Mentioning x86 vs arm wars no longer matters anymore and is irrelevant.

Basically, Intel went to sleep from 2014 until 2020.  MBAs took over the company, laid off half the VLSI designers in 2014, and literally rebranded everything annually from 5000 - 10000 series - thats all the same pokey useless stuff. 

Apple decided to give Intel the middle finger with ARM.  Google internally (as #5 computer maker on earth) literally hated Intel's guts (trust me i was there) and wanted to switch so desperately and finally began its Ryzen switchover in 2020.

Thats what happens when you let under educated suits run your company into the ground for half a decade ...

MGaama

I think this is great laptop.Design and weight is great. But i am worried about overheating. How comportable  is this laptop for office work. How heat is this with avarege work.

systemBuilder

Quote from: MGaama on August 30, 2024, 04:22:44I think this is great laptop.Design and weight is great. But i am worried about overheating. How comportable  is this laptop for office work. How heat is this with avarege work.

I own the Asus S16 365 model now.  802.11b range is a tiny bit limited (maybe 5db less range than most phones or laptops, 10ft less range).  While web browsing the laptop gets warm when i rest it on my stomach, enough that I will put it between my legs to cool the backside for 10m until it cools down again, on balanced mode, no lagginess.  Unfortunately it truly needs the top and bottom in the open air to stay cool.  Fans are never audible.  Not ideal but much much better than my last 2019 intel laptop which was NEVER placed anywhere near my body to avoid skin burns at 165F...

To enhance my Zenbook S16 hx365 my first two purchases are a 2TB Crucial T500 SSD (2x the performance of the p3 plus class 1TB SSD supplied) and a $45 asus 203 Pen #2 on EBay to play around with the touch screen.  Not owning a touch screen before i get in trouble repositioning the display (often scrolling or closing a window) or trying to wipe specs of dirt off the beautiful screen.

systemBuilder

This is the #2 thinnest laptop on the market with the #1 coolest finish and logo to let you show it off.  Consequently, there are compromises. 

It's so thin because it tries to radiate all the heat vertically and it has very tiny, very spindly fans to save energy.  It has a very hard limit of 34w and many reviewers can't even figure out how to set it above 28w.  As a result, the 890m and/or 880m are badly gimped by about 15% due to power and cooling limits.  So the 880m performs like the Z1 extreme (780m) GPU while sipping power, driving a spectacular 3k OLED display, at 2/3rds the watts.

I realized I needed a laptop mostly for text editing (programming) and some light esports gaming.  I wanted the coolest looking and coolest performing (on my lap) laptop on the market, so i got the hx365 version.  I am through with intel powerpig thighburner laptops, even the new lunacy lake CPUs are only 4 cores 8 threads (**) and we moved beyond that in 2011 didn't we?

You can set the laptop to the efficiency mode and it runs incredibly cool like a snapdragon, although sometimes it glitches / stalls and i assume its the many bugs in windows 11.

(**) One e-core is the equivalent of 1 secondary thread ...

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview