News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Samsung delivers 600-mile solid-state EV battery as it teases 9-minute charging and 20-year lifespan tech

Started by Redaktion, July 26, 2024, 14:55:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Samsung has been shipping its solid-state battery with high energy density to electric vehicle makers, but warns that it will first land in more expensive models. It is also ready to deliver other promising battery technologies.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Samsung-delivers-600-mile-solid-state-EV-battery-as-it-teases-9-minute-charging-and-20-year-lifespan-tech.867768.0.html

NikoB

Euan

Cost and price are just constructs. Manufacturers make special efforts to differentiate products in order to maximise profits. That's what is really going on here.

BatteriesDontHaveRange

"Samsung delivers 600-mile solid-state EV battery..." That's as far as I read. Batteries don't have range - vehicles have range depending on the capacity of the batteries used.

Titles like that just make it obvious that the author has no clue, so there's really no point in reading the article.

hugh mungus

Quote from: BatteriesDontHaveRange on July 27, 2024, 02:35:32"Samsung delivers 600-mile solid-state EV battery..." That's as far as I read. Batteries don't have range - vehicles have range depending on the capacity of the batteries used.

Titles like that just make it obvious that the author has no clue, so there's really no point in reading the article.

Do you have friends considering how pedantic you sound?

Ednumero

The core issue I see is range taking the place of more meaningful metrics like Wh/kg. I imagine fewer people would take issue if they saw sensationalist range figures reliably leading into more level-headed discussions on the actual tangible achievements of the cells.

pOWERpLANTZ

I would also like to see proper metrics such and KWH/KG.  However, I believe there is an optimum ratio for battery size to vehicle size.  To gain more range, you will need more volume of batteries.  at a certain point, you will need to sacrifice passenger space, vehicle size, weight, or aerodynamics. the more batteries, the more weight.  currently that ratio seems to be optimum for a 200+ to 300 mile range.  yes the title of the article has been dumbed down and vague, but it gets the point across to the general masses that a more energy dense newer technology is on the horizon.  what else to you expect for Click-Bait. 

A

Quote from: NikoB on July 26, 2024, 22:26:12When will smartphones have batteries that charge in 9 minutes with the same resource?

One of the big issues for batteries fast charging is heat, which often times requires thermal management that is hard to fit into smartphones

Quote from: pOWERpLANTZ on July 27, 2024, 10:25:37I would also like to see proper metrics such and KWH/KG.  However, I believe there is an optimum ratio for battery size to vehicle size.  To gain more range, you will need more volume of batteries.  at a certain point, you will need to sacrifice passenger space, vehicle size, weight, or aerodynamics. the more batteries, the more weight.  currently that ratio seems to be optimum for a 200+ to 300 mile range.  yes the title of the article has been dumbed down and vague, but it gets the point across to the general masses that a more energy dense newer technology is on the horizon.  what else to you expect for Click-Bait. 

Yes, wh/kg isn't the limiting factor these days, wh/l is. This battery is 900wh/l

Roy

One missing piece of information is what is the power rating of the charger needed to achieve a 9 minute charge. The UK street supply is 235KW, and a recent article elsewhere talked kf fast charging using a 350KW charger. This means that with the present street supply, it would be impossible to charge even a single car. I suspect yhat every country will have similar issues and so a short charge is a nice to have pipe dream. Consider this, at 350KWh, only 3 cars xan be charged per megawatt. If a generating site produces 1000MWh then only 3,000 can be charged at the same time - then think of how many cars your country has...... Finally, take fossil fuel stations out of the supply equation.

Serj

I think that the charging station will set more powerful accumulators that will have enough power for 9min charging.  for me, it's more interesting what the wires and connectors will use for this mega-power )

CatGuy

What I really want to see, are these newer better battery packs retrofitable to existing vehicles on the road?

George

Quote from: BatteriesDontHaveRange on July 27, 2024, 02:35:32"Samsung delivers 600-mile solid-state EV battery..." That's as far as I read. Batteries don't have range - vehicles have range depending on the capacity of the batteries used.

Agreed.

Generally batteries are rated by:
- energy density per Kg
- charge/discharge current
- size and weight
- Ah

NOT in possible "mileage" or "range". :(

JB

Also, performance at high/low Ambient Temperatures. 600 miles/8 min charge/20 year/by 2027 at a high level is a real and solid goal.  It does not give a techie reader a real sense for the current progress other than that these manufacturers say they are on track.

Christian Thompson

So each ev charging station will have its own nuclear power station out the back producing the giga watt outputs needed for so many 9 minute charges?

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview