News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Well-known tech YouTuber declares PS5 dead, wants to provide proof by building his own PC for the same price and fails all along the line

Started by Redaktion, March 11, 2024, 16:20:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Jutyba

Tell me you're desperate for views without telling me. This guy knows nothing about computers. He must be a PlayStation fanboy who can't get any streamers to watch him on a dead console so he wrote a dead article instead.

Don't worry....be happy

Literally built a new PC with "new" (last gen) hardware for less than $1K, at the time of purchase. Thanks to some promos and combo deals i got what I needed for less than i expected. A friend had a case that was similar to the one I was already looking at, and gave it to me since he upgraded his case. This opened my budget up to pick up a monitor cable, and a keyboard and mouse.

My PC is a legit budget build but it's gonna run whatever it is that I want it to. I have a buddy running Diablo 4 at 60 FPS on a 2070 TI, and dude couldn't be happier.

Not only was the point of the video to show you can used hardware atta deal, it'll perform almost as good as a brand new console. But if you already have a PC (depending on the architecture of your MB), you can upgrade to newer components to get just a little more out of it.

At the end of the day, it's up to the gamer. My friend is happy with his 60 FPS. I'm happy I got to get into PC gaming atta solid price point. To call LTT's video a failure because he didn't meet the name of the video is cheap and low. Go back and rewatch it. You got roasted in the comments on this one. Sent 'er a little too hard there bud...

Lvthor

Such misinformation. I watched the whole video, they do this for fun as hypotheticals all the time. "Compromises no gamer would make" is a complete overstatement, the results very actually very similar side by side and there's so many alternatives for around the same price. Please look more into the subject you write about before making yourself look stupid in front of people who actually know about gaming and computer components.

JustFactz

Quote from: JustFacts on March 12, 2024, 16:21:01Console vs PC is basically tell me you are broke without telling me. If you can't afford to get a Console and a PC , you should be out there working on your finances lmao

I seriously hate this comment and what's most pathetic about it is there ALWAYS ONE in every one of these debates.

Now I own a PC, I have friends that are very well off and they ask what I paid for my GPU alone and laugh because they simply believe it's overpriced aka not worth the money.

So people generally have the mindset to go all in and not bit by bit because the concept is to build it and be futureproof for a bit. These days it's ridiculously overpriced.

Whether it's because of lack of components, mining, AI, automotive industry or whatever lame arse excuses Nvidia and whoever else is using its getting crazy unrealistic for most people.

Not because they are ALL broke but because they are sane, rational people who won't fall for it out of sheer morals. That or they see money in a different way. Why buy a PC when I could buy a boat, ATV, Dirt bike or whatever other toy they have been eyeballing.

Either way quit the poor crap you make us look bad.  I think most people used Covid money to buy a beastly rig and now call people broke when they themselves are broke. 

JeffKaos

I did the exact same thing during covid. I took about $500 and tried to build a gaming PC for my kid that was comparable to an Xbox One. The caveat was that I recycled a ton of parts, including the case. I also had an unused Windows license from the PC the case originally housed. In the end I went a little over budget but I got it pretty close. But like I said, I recycled case, fans, cables, zip ties, and a 1TB HDD. I also had all the screws and other little bits you need.

I didn't like the bit about the time it takes to build a PC. Even a novice can build one in a few hours and it will last for years. I think the most difficult part of any build is connecting the case to the motherboard. You should definitely watch some videos if you're not familiar with that part.

Billy

Yeah, I built a gaming pc with used parts, back in the good old days of 2009.
I used it until 2019 or so. So I spent 500$ initially, then upgraded a few things over the next 10 yrs and probably spent 1000$ total.
All my friends bought 3 or 4 different consoles in that time.
I have 500 games on steam. Most of them cost less than a dollar.
So who spent too much money?
Also, building a computer is not difficult and it is fun. To me at least.

RockyZ

Quote from: Sheepgravy on March 12, 2024, 00:37:32Linus kind of sucks. I don't really trust him and that's on me for being skeptical of almost everyone and thing.

I don't get it. Just buy what you want to play the games you want on. Sometimes I wish I was a kid again with my NES. The joy and excitement of saving up and buying my SNES - those moments were magic.

I loved MMOs early days too. Ultima online, Evercrack, even WoW. I wouldn't go back to one now - just seeing how some people get about WoW is insane.
Massive RESPECT for old gamers Sheepgravy 👍 I began with Mattel Intelvision, to Atari 540st then 1040st, to bought 386sx25pc,and then began building my own for years afterwards. Frys Electronics was my best friend (buy 5 video cards, test, keep the best, return the rest LOL). I helped discover the power rails issue with the early Nvidia cards, knew the folks at Matrox 👍. Then one day I woke up and was sick of constant updates/upgrades, fishing for the latest drivers/patches, incompatibilities, overclocking etc. Now I just wanted to turn on and PLAY my games. Nice to play from a comfy couch on a bigscreen TV, with Pioneer Elite amp and 7.1 surround. Haven't touched my old PC in 8 years! Now use Xbox One (with Atmos and RIG 800LX) and PS5 (Steel Arctis 7P), but then suddenly got tired of games? ME? 😱🤯 Used to playing marathon runs on EQ 1&2,WoW, D&D, WoT, War Thunder, etc? Now it's all for Home Theater, movies, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. And FYI I had been a top PC IT tech for over 25 years now, and don't even want to touch one at home anymore? Whoa😱😱🤯💯‼️

Seidl Ulf

Quote from: Pc Gamer on March 11, 2024, 19:12:30Compromises that pc gamers would not make = buying used hardware?
How out of touch is this author?

The price of new components puts them far above the budget of a large percentage of pc gamers.

Up until my latest computer, all my previous machines were made from used hardware.
They just represent far better value for money and for the most part will last many years with no issues.
Parts become "outdated" far faster than they become unreliable or obsolete.

As for the case and peripherals pushing the budget over $500, it would not take buying mang games before that difference was surpassed given the bloated price that you have to pay for console versions of games.

This author is just a spoiled kid where mum and dad have deep pockets, most likely American as they don't care how much they spend on something they want, they think the more expensive the better as we see with apple devices 😂

Sorry if I generalize but if 995 out of 1000 Americans don't care then I owe an apology to the 5 who actually where born with a brain and common sense.

Alex Davids

I'll one up the author on his claim that buying used wouldnt be a compromise that most people will take, I ran a cx750 PSU that I literally pulled out of a dump for 5 years because I didn't have the money to buy a brand new or even used one of the same quality, I ram 16gb of ddr3 from 3 different computers again, pulled out of the dump to save money, up until my most recent build, I didn't have a single brand new part, all in the spirit of saving money, I managed to put together an i7 4790k and a gtx 1060 build for about £300 back in 2018 all because I mounted it all on a piece of fiberboard I found and foraged for most of the other parts, this author is so backwards in thinking that people wouldnt be inclined to buy used parts that the article comes off as almost comedic, aside from the fact that building any pc with a comparable price tag and performance to a ps5 is an impressive feat to begin with

Wolfsherm

Quote from: Kylec on March 12, 2024, 14:57:23Dude first you barely need any skill to build a PC there are tutorials everywhere on the internet. Second if piggybacking off a YouTube video and bring incredibly biased towards an option is game journalism then maybe I should be one haha

You have too much faith in people. I've seen folks still screw up and/or not know what to even look for. This is what the consoles have created, entertainment centers for the masses,not gaming nerds.
Being a PC person, i no longer need an Xbox as all game are playable on Win10+ and Sony is slowly bringing their exclusives to the PC, so no need for PS5. Soon we will be able to use the VR2 on PC.
It's not like the consoles will disappear, but the manufacturers realizing a bigger crowd to sell games to rather than losing money on pushing a console.

axendo79

While the article highlights Linuss experiment, it fails to provide perspective. The focus on cost-cutting measures and the omission of essentials make the comparison misleading. Additionally, the article doesn't go into the broader subject of gaming preferences and user needs. Rather than offering valuable insights, it perpetuates a narrow viewpoint, which could be considered a waste of journalism.This article lacks depth and fails to address the nuances of the gaming PC vs. console debate, making it less informative for readers seeking a comprehensive understanding and more a personal vendetta.

Tekacardic

Intel ARC GPU was the worst he could have picked. They have been plagued with driver issues from day one. He could've have built a much better PC for the same price. Almost like he planned it to fail..

DeadpoolxGod

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview