News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

AMD Ryzen AI 9 365 vs Ryzen 7 7840U: Preliminary Strix Point APU performance tests reveal notable multi-core and IPC gain

Started by Redaktion, June 27, 2024, 13:43:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

AMD has promised that the Zen 5 CPU architecture brings a substantial performance uplift over Zen 4, meaning the Strix APUs could be quite powerful. Somewhat in line with Team Red's claims, a recent performance analysis of a pre-production machine powered by the Ryzen AI 9 365 has shown that the APU does offer notably better performance than the Zen 3 and Zen 4 CPUs.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Ryzen-AI-9-365-vs-Ryzen-7-7840U-Preliminary-Strix-Point-APU-performance-tests-reveal-notable-multi-core-and-IPC-gain.851873.0.html

Amazing

I'm pretty sure that the new Ryzen chip will face throttling issues
12 CPU cores, 16 CU cores... same fabrication process, running at 54W
Future laptop may not suffer from throttling issues but future gaming handhelds probably
NB: I don't talk about laptops because high chances they'll come with dGPU or the others one without it will be too expensive vs an old gen CPU + a 40XXX nvidia GPU

Thunder

AMD has improved the microarchitecture of Zen 5 with many new features as well as improvements in the iGPU, I expect a lot from these new ultrabooks much more than the Intel and Qualcoom options, I hope that the prices will be cheaper than the Intel ones and that is a great advantage. I am not a Gamer therefore I do not need any dGPU with the iGPU of the same processor it is more than enough with this generation.

Mr Majestyk

Not that impressed frankly and 54W is too much. Honestly I'm more interested in Lunar Lake which is showing great performance at only 17W vs Mediocre Lake despite being only 4P + 4E. For an ultrathin  I'm awaiting Lunar Lake vs Strix U series vs Qualcomm vs Arrow Lake U tests vs Macbook Air M4.

Luudaa

Quote from: Mr Majestyk on June 28, 2024, 03:12:48Not that impressed frankly and 54W is too much.

Remember, performance does not scale linearly with respect to power level. Even with last gen Zen 4 APUs, 90% of performance could be extracted at 18w and going past 25w yielded almost no gains.

Really hoping AMD has improved their uncore and platform SoC power consumption with Zen 5 because that's really the only thing holding them back. Their actual cores are pretty efficient.

Puiu

Quote from: Amazing on June 27, 2024, 14:26:52I'm pretty sure that the new Ryzen chip will face throttling issues
12 CPU cores, 16 CU cores... same fabrication process, running at 54W
Future laptop may not suffer from throttling issues but future gaming handhelds probably
NB: I don't talk about laptops because high chances they'll come with dGPU or the others one without it will be too expensive vs an old gen CPU + a 40XXX nvidia GPU
they didn't have big issues before, why would they now?

systemBuilder

I think a lot of you guys are forgetting that strix point GPUs are using 4nm for the first time ever!  Go back and read the AMD website the 8845hs uses 4nm for CPU CORES ONLY!  9700x CPUs are able to exceed 7800x by 15% using 65 Watts instead of 105 Watts! 

So the improved architecture and vlsi process will save almost half the power!  Don't be so quick to criticize you could be entirely wrong!  AMD did the whole 7000 graphics card series with one hand tied behind their back because they were using 5nm and Nvidia was using 4nm!  Only July 15 we will behold the power of AMD 3D, finally unleashed!

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview