News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

First Snapdragon X Elite laptop reviews point to disappointing gaming performance

Started by Redaktion, June 19, 2024, 08:43:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The first Snapdragon X series laptop reviews are out, and with that, we got a closer look at the performance of Qualcomm's new ARM chipsets. As we noted in our review of the Asus Vivobook S 15 OLED with Snapdragon X Elite X1E-78-100, the gaming performance is the biggest weak point at the moment. The other reviewers shared the same story.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/First-Snapdragon-X-Elite-laptop-reviews-point-to-disappointing-gaming-performance.849589.0.html

TruthIsThere

I'm just surprised that the MSM, and shills, are pretending to be so surprised and shocked that a Qualcomm  chip failed to deliver (again) as promised / advertised.

Qualcomm will never have a competing chip in gaming or in any other segment, compared to its main rivals, NVIDIA and Apple's Silicon.

Get over this already, folks! 😏

Papsy

Frankly I knew the CPU section will turn out good,buh for GPU h'mm, if NVIDIA has to produce these cutting edge GPU for a while before stagnating at what we have currently, Qualcomm jumping in now on with arm to x86 will be challenging to begin with.Buh I believe Qualcomm will play catch up with time...

AdrianK

LL

I agree that ultra settings are not a very good benchmark.

I was more disappointed by the battery and noise.

NikoB

And also a shameful AMOLED screen with 240Hz PWM and at the same time with a shameful contrast of 18000:1, instead of the 1M:1 minimum promised by marketers. And the color resolution does not match the resolution of the same IPS panels. And also always wildly glare, because... always glossy.

Who wants to spoil their eyesight and nervous system with such a laptop by working with it for hours?

First, make a non-flickering matte 4k screen with ppi 250+, then make a normal noise level, then a normal keyboard, and not this stupidity with a completely damaged numpad, and then you can look at performance and everything else. A high-quality screen that is safe for the eyes and nervous system, a good classic keyboard with a full-fledged numpad (if installed) and an adequate noise level are the key parameters; everything else is secondary when sorting laptops at the time of selection.

JesusItsHim

David_usa

What I like the least is the incomplete number keyboard, for that I prefer a 13" laptop more than enough.
I want products like the Surface, which is the laptop model of the future and currently I was about to buy the MINISFORUM V3 after reading the good comments on YouTube and professional forums, I hope that at the end of this year MINISFORUM V3 will be updated to the new processors Zen 5 and the purchase will be perfect.

splus

How come no one mentions that the Snapdragon X Elite X1E-78-100 CPU in this Asus Vivobook is the WEAKEST Snapdragon X Elite CPU??? There are total 4 variants (not counting the X Plus variant), and this one has the lowest clocks. But all reviewers treat it as the only Snapdragon X Elite CPU...

RobinLight

Quote from: splus on June 19, 2024, 12:31:44How come no one mentions that the Snapdragon X Elite X1E-78-100 CPU in this Asus Vivobook is the WEAKEST Snapdragon X Elite CPU??? There are total 4 variants (not counting the X Plus variant), and this one has the lowest clocks. But all reviewers treat it as the only Snapdragon X Elite CPU...

So what? When the efficiency is not that great in the lowest model, it's not getting better at higher clocked versions. Just have a look on how much power it draws when working in the best power profile.

RobinLight

Quote from: JesusItsHim on June 19, 2024, 12:07:38Dave2D's review showed pretty good numbers esp for efficiency given 120hz display

Dave2D already disqualified himself when he said in the beginning that he always had this bad experience on spinning fans with light load on Intel notebooks... so he hasn't seen many of them. Not to mention AMD.

chris@amd

after reading and watching almost all reviews, i consider snapdragon x-elite devices to mainly media consumption and web browsing/ms office devices. one should not push them or ask anything more of them as they are not fully fledged laptops. use them at what they are good for and they'll bring good battery life(not stellar), quite operating(at normal tasks) and generally good build quality. that's all. maybe it changes in a few years.

Neenyah

Quote from: RobinLight on June 19, 2024, 12:57:39
Quote from: JesusItsHim on June 19, 2024, 12:07:38Dave2D's review showed pretty good numbers esp for efficiency given 120hz display

Dave2D already disqualified himself when he said in the beginning that he always had this bad experience on spinning fans with light load on Intel notebooks... so he hasn't seen many of them. Not to mention AMD.
Yeah, this. Like not possible to watch YouTube without fans going crazy (I'm yet to hear my X1 Carbon's fans at anything but high load or gaming with eGPU; HWiNFO reports literal 0 rpm at all low or medium loads and that's without any power saving measures or setting in Windows).

And when he said (also Matthew Moniz, like they were reading the same script) that previously it was never possible to get the same performance on battery as when plugged in, now it's within 5% difference which of course isn't true with many laptops (ThinkPad T14s with the 7840U for example, literally identical performance on AC and on battery).

Then they said how awesome battery consumption is because total system power is less than 15W on battery under low load like watching YouTube, something unachievable before - I checked mine at that same moment, saw 11.3W total (and that's with Intel i7) and unsubscribed from him (Dave, wasn't subscribed at Matthew) at that very moment.

Jacques

Am I missing something, because I think that is a great score for the 'weakest' of the bunch. In comparison to a AMD 7640u or even a 6600U these are great scores. I think it is even better than a 6850u know that Intel and AMD will come out with better GPUs in the next generation, but this is not too bad. I wonder what the faster versions will do.

RobinLight

Quote from: Jacques on June 19, 2024, 13:15:42Am I missing something, because I think that is a great score for the 'weakest' of the bunch. In comparison to a AMD 7640u or even a 6600U these are great scores.

Why in the world would you compare a 6 core AMD to a 12 core Qualcomm?
The weakest offers below the 10 core plus versions haven't been announced yet.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview