News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Modder manages to fit legendary 3dfx Voodoo 4 GPU inside a laptop

Started by Redaktion, June 06, 2024, 18:13:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The original 3dfx Voodoo 4 4500 board launched in 2000 was replaced with a custom-made MXM board mounted inside a 2013 Dell Precision M4800 mobile workstation. Modder "sdz" added double the original VRAM for a total of 64 MB, but only 32 MB can be used in laptop mode due to power constraints.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Modder-manages-to-fit-legendary-3dfx-Voodoo-4-GPU-inside-a-laptop.844670.0.html

niculaeramdac

he article seems poorly written and makes false assumptions, which is a bit sad considering this is a legendary passion project that actually works.

64MB does work and has always worked.
Overclocking also works now.
Also the statement "due to power constraints" has no base in any actual information, there is sufficient power.

"First, the modder ordered a custom MXM PCB that is roughly three times smaller (7x8 cm) than the original desktop PCB" ???
This is a 100% custom built board starting from a blank sheet, after countless hours of sourcing, reverse engineering, previous knowledge, debug and retrofitting - there is no MXM voodoo shop.

Vogons has a dedicated project page where you can find everything. (Links are not allowed)
Keyword: Voodoo 4 M4800

Bogdan Solca

Quote from: niculaeramdac on June 06, 2024, 20:12:35he article seems poorly written and makes false assumptions, which is a bit sad considering this is a legendary passion project that actually works.

Also the statement "due to power constraints" has no base in any actual information, there is sufficient power.

"First, the modder ordered a custom MXM PCB that is roughly three times smaller (7x8 cm) than the original desktop PCB" ???
This is a 100% custom built board starting from a blank sheet, after countless hours of sourcing, reverse engineering, previous knowledge, debug and retrofitting - there is no MXM voodoo shop.

Vogons has a dedicated project page where you can find everything. (Links are not allowed)
The modder added more info regarding OC stability after I published this article. At the time of publishing, OC was not working. I will modify the article to reflect that. Also, the modder did not build the PCB himself. He sent his design to some company that can build-to-order boards. Not sure you even bothered to read through the entire project thread,

George

While that is WAY COOL, legendary or not in 2024 a 3dfx chip might as well be an IBM VGA card.

As it is about as useful as one.

Sorry.

niculaeramdac

Quote from: Bogdan Solca on June 06, 2024, 20:54:18
Quote from: niculaeramdac on June 06, 2024, 20:12:35he article seems poorly written and makes false assumptions, which is a bit sad considering this is a legendary passion project that actually works.

The modder added more info regarding OC stability after I published this article. At the time of publishing, OC was not working. I will modify the article to reflect that. Also, the modder did not build the PCB himself. He sent his design to some company that can build-to-order boards. Not sure you even bothered to read through the entire project thread,

The modder did not build the pcb themselves the same way nvidia does not laminate copper sheets in house in order to make gpus. This is kind of how electronics manufacturing works.

I read the entire article because that's how I could quote it on the mistakes.

This is a project to be enjoyed not to fight upon. People who understand, understand.

I wanted to make sure that it is factually correct because the work involved deserves a correct article.

All the best.

Bogdan Solca

Quote from: niculaeramdac on June 06, 2024, 21:16:32This is a project to be enjoyed not to fight upon. People who understand, understand.
Agreed. I updated the article with the latest developments.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview