News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

65-inch TCL QM8 Mini-LED TV with retina-burning 2,000 nits on sale for its lowest price yet on Amazon

Started by Redaktion, July 31, 2023, 22:00:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The extremely bright 65-inch Mini-LED TV is back on sale for 29% off its official list price, which makes the TCL QM8 one of the very best choices for HDR enthusiasts or OLED skeptics who have around US$1,200 to spend on a new 4K set.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/65-inch-TCL-QM8-Mini-LED-TV-with-retina-burning-2-000-nits-on-sale-for-its-lowest-price-yet-on-Amazon.737765.0.html

S.Yu

lol, this is one of the brightest on the market but it's far from "retina-searing", and the maximum brightness of these TVs are not sustainable. The max ~5000nits for TCL's current flagship for example IIRC lasts less than 15s, and while that's generally enough, it doesn't reach too wide an area on the screen either, though I don't remember the exact numbers. One can only bring out that maximum contrast in certain scenes of a very limited selection of HDR clips that are actually mastered for ~2000nits(currently rare even for Dolby Vision), from there the processing chip takes over and decides which details get bumped to max, so it's actually further brightening(through effectively "guessing") certain areas beyond even the DR of HDR clips, sort of like Sony's DSEE frequency range extension in audio. It's a processing technology and approach as much as it's a backlight technology.
So just to be clear, a clip mastered for ~2000nits may not be reproduced 100% to intent on the QM8, depending on the size of the highlight areas and how bright they are, but generally the film companies try to be forgiving  and attempt to leave some headroom in most of the scenes, leaving the best panels underutilized instead.

Special

That's not no deal because I have that same TV and I payed
Less than $400 US dollar for it at Walmart.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview